Food and An Anniversary

Food is one of the major topics/ issues here in Kiribati. Due to population pressures, and salination of soils, there is very limited food availability and most foods are imported from NZ, Aust or Fiji. Foraging for food is a weekly task, well at least biking the 12km or so to Bairiki and back, stopping in at various "supermarkets" on the way is. Theses aren't NZ style supermarkets, rather most are warehouses/ stores selling a range of products, no two of which seem to sell the same things. As well as theses there are numerous small shops along the main road where families make an income selling various products.

To get your weekly shop you need to stop in at several different places to see what is in stock this week. At one one the larger ones in Bairiki this week they had some fresh fruit and veggies, last week the shelves were bare. After three weeks without any fruit I couldn't resist spending $6 on a single orange and a peach! Yes, that is the first fruit (apart from some coconut and coconut milk) I've had since I got here. My god that, peach tasted good!

So here we have it my version of 5+ a day, 3 pieces of fruit in three weeks! For someone who loves fruit that's not good!


My new favourite drink, fresh chilled coconut milk. Yum!!!!!


So, what is available and where is a regular topic of conversation with expats and volunteers. Something will be in stock for a short time then can disappear for months at a time so hoarding seems to be a sensible strategy. However, most people I've spoken to seem to think that overall variety in foods has improved in recent years.

I've landed in my feet when it comes to food as the Marine Training Centre where I work has two NZ trained chefs who cook lunch for staff each day for a very reasonable price.  Most days it is something that includes the traditional side order of rice but occasionally there is a surprise like pasta or chicken snitzel. So compared to many volunteers I am quite lucky and means I have a well cooked main meal for lunch and then just have a snack most evenings for tea.

Unfortunately there was no chef at work the other day so I popped down with a German volunteer to grab some street food of fish, a chicken drumstick and rice for a very reasonable $2.50.  I've been quite careful with what I eat and drink but alas yesterday I didn't really feel very hungry then last night had my first case of "Delhi Belly" which was not very so pleasant so have been feeling a tad under the weather today. I  think eating street food may not have been a good idea after all. I took some medicine and am starting to feel better now but still not really hungry and don't think I'll try that again for a wee while.

My lovely family has been sending me photos of what I've been missing out on...

Cider! CIDER! No bloody cider here!


Now, that's just mean- though eggs and baked beans are available- tomatoes and bacon, not that I've found! Now I have a yearning for a full English breakfast.


 Meanwhile Finn has finally gotten his learners licence and took this shot of his scooter at Jack's Point last week while on a bit of a local road trip on the back roads around Timaru. Very artisitic Finn!

Late yesterday I went for a swim on North Tarawa with one of the local Aussie expats and his family, and took this of the sun setting as we travelled back across the lagoon. 

Finally, I found some old photos on the portable hard-drive I brought over with me. This is Julie and I in Feb 2008, just after I'd had part of my bowel removed so was looking a tad sorry for myself. 

Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary and we've been together for 25 years. Like all couples we've had good times and bad but somehow she's still managed to put up with me and my sometimes hairbrained schemes- such as heading off by myself to the middle of the Pacific for a year! Despite all the trials and tribulations we are still together. I can't imagine how life would be without her and thank her for the joy and happiness she has brought into my life, and those of the kids, over the past quarter of a century. I hope she can make it out here later in the year to share in the experience what I'm up to.

Craig

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections- U to Z

The Nippon Causeway

Reflections- N to T