Kiribati at last

Well, it is 9pm on my first night in Kiribati. I've made it at last. The long journey to get to this point has ended and a new chapter in my life is just beginning. 

Yesterday morning, Julie and I were up at 5am and I drove to CHCH. From there it was a flight to Auckland and a couple of hours layover before the flight to Kiribati.In Fiji I met with a consultant on her way to Kiribati and she shouted me dinner. She had done some work for the Marine Training Centre so it was good to get some information about the place and what to expect.

Another early start today. At the airport or 6am start and a three hour flight north to Tarawa. I me the other volunteer at Fiji airport. The three hour flight north was uneventful and we were met at the airport by Linda from Mary's motel who took us to the motel in Bairiki. The only issue was getting my surfboard on board as there was no roof rack but we managed to tie it onto the roof using my leg rope. 

Kiribati was hot and sunny, much as I expected. Getting off the plane I was struck by a wall of heat moderated by a sea breeze blowing across from the ocean so it wasn't too humid and sticky but even so the heat will take a bit of getting used to.


After the airport we had a couple of hours to relax, so I had a nap then went for a walk along the man road to suss out the place a bit. After that we were taken to our rental accommodation and I met the volunteer, Aaron, whose house I will be taking over when he finishes soon. The accommodation seems fine and I will post pictures when I can. Then it was back to the motel and dinner and am now just relaxing and will have an early night. 

It is great to finally reach here and be under way. I've a few days of orientation ahead, I am meeting the Captain Superintendent at the Marine Training Centre in the morning so hope to have a better idea of what my role will entail from that meeting. 

The road winds its way along the causeway linking the islets. 

Another view along the main road which has recently been resurfaced by a NZ company. 

Sunset on my first day in Tarawa.
Craig








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections- U to Z

The Nippon Causeway

Reflections- N to T