Another week in paradise



Another week in paradise and I must say it’s been quite a good one. I biked to work three days this week and really enjoy biking early in the morning before it gets too hot and observing the local i-Kiribati people going about their morning routines as they start their day. There isn’t too much traffic about and it is a nice way to begin the day. I quite like the ride home too and by the time I get there I feel like I’ve had some exercise which is good. The only issue really is the causeway is still being upgraded and biking across the hardpacked coral sand is a bit of a pain. On Friday afternoon we had a brief shower and so the surface was full of puddles and quite slippery. I was covered in fine, white coral mud by the time I crossed but it was about 10 minutes faster to bike across than take a car or minibus as they had to wait in several areas where it is one lane and then weave backwards and forwards across the road dodging the larger puddles of water and slushy mud. 

The coral that is used for the temporary road surface while the causeway is being upgraded isn't really up to the task, it is fine when dry and reasonably firm, but even then does cut up over a few days so is ocntstnatly being graded and holes refilled, but when wet, is simply like weetbix, bloody hopeless stuff! The new tarseal won't be finished for some time yet but once it does will make a big difference to the commute between Bairiki and Betio. 

Friday evening would have to have been the nicest evening I’ve had here. About 5pm a gentle, light rain began to fall. Usually when it rains here it pours down for about 20 minutes to half an hour then clears again. This time we had a nice gentle rain for a couple of hours, the temperate dropped and it was really pleasant and reminded me of the rains back home on a hot summers day. Of course about 7pm it did bucket down and lasted for a couple of hours. The rain beating down on the tin roof of my home made a hell of a racket and then about 8pm the power went out, so it was an interesting evening and a bit different for your typical evening here!  


A sunset over the lagoon this week. 

Cumulonimbus thunderclouds over the lagoon on Thursday
  

 This weekend I made two trips to North Tarawa walking up to Broken Bridge. The trip up there is truly stunning. Lots of little kids coming up to you saying "hello I-matung" and wanting a high five. The path winds through the vegetation past small villages, it is really is a different world to South Tarawa and is fantastic to recharge ones batteries after a week in the much more densely populated South.

An MFAT (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade) official was comingpout for the week so one of the regular consultants who travels out here contacted myself and Rick the head of Child Fund in Kiribati to see if we could take him out and show him Tarawa over the weekend. We both agreed but when the MFAT guy was unable to make it on Saturday and Rick had other plans on Sunday Rick and I decided to go to Broken Bridge Saturday; and then today I took Ryan, the MFAT official, up there.

I must say I had two really enjoyable walks with two very fascinating guys who have done a lot of really interesting things. Rick is an Aussie working for Child Fund NZ who amongst other things has worked in Palestinian Refugee camps in Lebanon,  while  Ryan is an American who did his PHD in Dunedin and now lives in Wellington. Ryan has spent a lot of time in the central South Island and Central Otago region and he was the first person out here I've met who has mentioned Dansy's Pass as one of his favourite places- many kiwis wouldn't have a clue where it is!

So,m as I said I had two really enjoyable walks to Broekn Bridge, a couple of swims and really fascinating conversations running a gamut of topics, a fantastic way to spend the weekend.

 This is something you won't see at most international airports. This flag is raised to tell locals that a plane is due so they can't cross the tarmac to to get to the villages on the far side of the runway. Only in Kiribati!
 \
The ferry taking us across the lagoon at Buota. We waded back at low tide but at high tide it is a 2 minute, 50 cent ferry ride to cross.
 

A traditional hut on North Tarawa. Thatched roof and open sided and a couple of feet off the ground- the thatch keeps them nice and cool. 

Crossing one of the smaller lagoons heading the Broken bridge. 




Finally, I must say I am really enjoying being back in Kiribati. I wasn’t sure before left NZ how I would feel but I am 100% reinvigorated and love being back here and am looking forward to the next few months and making the most of my time left here.

Craig

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections- U to Z

The Nippon Causeway

Reflections- N to T