Back to Kiribati


It’s been a busy past few weeks. First of all Julie and Finn came out to Kiribati for a ten day holiday. We popped over to North Tarawa for a couple of days and they got to experience life on a small, remote island in the middle of the Pacific. I think they found the heat and mossies a bit of a challenge but otherwise coped fine.

On the way back to NZ we went to Fiji for a few days and stayed in a lovely Air B&B, an old workers cottage that had been beautifully restored and turned into a holiday let. I was blown away by the amount of fresh fruit and vegies available in the Lautoka markets. We avoided the touristy areas most of the time as we wanted more of a “real” experience. It was a great break and a chance to explore part of a country none us had spent any time in before.

After Fiji we headed home and I spent the bulk of my days doing repairs and maintenance on some of our rentals, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I also spent time catching up with friends and family and snuck in a weekends worth of football playing at the Masters games. My team didn’t do very well but it was an enjoyable weekend nevertheless. Still before I knew it the holiday was over and it was time to head back to Kiribati.

I headed back to Tarawa on Sunday arriving on Monday after a night in Fiji feeling refreshed and reinvigorated. As soon as I stepped off the plane was glad to be back. I was feeling a bit ambivalent about returning before getting on the plane, I guess I miss my life and routine back home. Still I’ve only abut ten weeks to go so am looking forward to making the most of my last few weeks here in this remote part of the Pacific.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections- U to Z

The Nippon Causeway

Reflections- N to T